MR Coils and Simulation
aim of our group is to develop Radio-Frequency (RF) methods for
Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Spectroscopy (MRI/MRS) as well as EM
simulations for RF safety in the RF and the LF regime. Special focus is
set on high resolution proton MRI of kidneys as pre-clinical tool at 3
T and 9.4 T, improvement of Signal-to-Noise-Ratio (SNR)for
X-nuclei MRI in the human body at 3 T and for preclinical research at
9.4 T as well as EM simulations for whole body SAR calculations and
peripheral nerve stimulations.
Ex-vivo mouse kidney scanned at 9.4 T with a cryogenically cooled
quadrature coil (Bruker BioSpin GmbH, Germany). 25 µm isotropic resolution.
EM simulations of E field distortions by a detuned 24 channel head coil using different detuning concepts at 3T.
3 channel Rx array for chlorine MRI at 9.4 T.
3 different stacked receive-only coils to a 3 coil base Rx array to enhance prostate MRI at 3T.
Current research projects
- High resolution imaging of glomeruli in ex-vivo rodent
kidneys at 9.4 and 3T
- 35Cl/23Na/1H RF resonator
systems for preclinical imaging at 9.4T
- EM-field simulations of novel coil concepts and MRI safety assessment for RF and LF problems
- Human abdominal, spine and head RF resonators for X-nuclei
- Organ-dedicated RF resonators
Interested in joining our group for an internship, Bachelorthesis or Masterthesis? Please contact: Jorge Chacon Caldera
- 0.5T portable MRI system (Pure Devices GmbH, Germany)
- 1 and 9.4T pre-clinical MRI Systems (Bruker
BioSpin GmbH, Germany)
- 1.5 and 3T clinical MRI systems (Siemens Healtcare
- RF laboratory (equipped with
- EM simulation software (CST
- Computer Simulation Technology AG, Germany)
- M. Malzacher, R. Hu, J. Chacon-Caldera and L. Schad.
Reducing signal-to-noise ratio degradation due to coil coupling in a receiver array
for 35CL MRI at 9.4 T: A comparison of matching and decoupling strategies.
Concept Magn Reson B, in press (2018).
- J. Chacon-Caldera, A. Fischer, M. Malzacher, Y. Vetter, M. Davids, M. Flöser, C. Stumpf and L. Schad.
Evaluation of stacked resonators to enhance the performance of a surface
receive-only array for prostate MRI at 3 Tesla.
Magn Reson Imaging, 53 , p.164-172 (2018).
- M. Malzacher, M. Davids, L. Schad and J. Chacon-Caldera.
Evaluating the effects of receive-only arrays in specific absorption rate
simulations at 3 and 7 T.
Magn Reson Imaging, 53 , p.7-13 (2018).
- M. Davids, B. Guérin, M. Malzacher, L. Schad and L. Wald.
Predicting Magnetostimulation Thresholds in the Peripheral
Nervous System using Realistic Body Models.
7, p.5316 (2017).
- J. Chacon-Caldera, M. Malzacher and L. Schad.
Partially orthogonal resonators for magnetic resonance imaging.
7, p.42347 (2017).
- J. Chacón-Caldera, S. Geraci, P. Krämer, L. Cullen-McEwen, J. Bertram, N. Gretz and L. Schad.
Fast glomerular quantification of whole ex vivo mouse kidneys using Magnetic Resonance Imaging at 9.4 Tesla.
Z Med Phys,
26 (1), pp.54-62 (2016).
- M. Malzacher, R. Kalayciyan, S. Konstandin, S. Haneder and L. Schad.
Sodium-23 MRI of whole spine at 3 Tesla using a 5-channel receive-only phased-array and a whole-body transmit resonator.
Z Med Phys,
26 (1), p.95–100 (2016).