Sie befinden sich hier
We investigate the coding of actual or potential tissue damaging stimuli (noxious stimuli) in primary nociceptive neurons and the subsequent signal processing in the nociceptive system. We use electrophysiology and live cell imaging in cellular systems, electrophysiology and behavioral testing in rodent models of neuropathic pain and back pain, as well as psychophysics, electrophysiology and functional imaging in healthy subjects and in patients with chronic pain or diseases of the nervous system. The aim of this work is the mechanism-based classification of chronic pain and the validation of biomarkers for the detection of these mechanisms.
The focus of our work is on
- Quantification of pain behaviour and psychological comorbidities (anxiety, depression, sleep disorder) in rodent models of chronic back pain and neuropathic pain.
- Phenotyping of patients with chronic neuropathic pain, mechanism-based classification of pain patients, modelling of pain mechanisms in human surrogate models.
- Interaction of pain and stress in healthy subjects, patients with back pain and patients with spinal cord injuries.
National and international joint research projects
DFG Collaborative Research Centres (Sonderforschungsbereiche)
- SFB1158 „Heidelberg Pain Consortium"
Funding code: 1158/2; Subproject S01
Project duration: 01.07.2019 – 30.06.2023
Subproject title: Standardization and new development of pain-related models and methods in rodents and humans
- Funding code: 1158/2; Subproject B09
Project duration: 01.07.2019 – 30.06.2023
Subproject title: Plasticity in brain circuits underlying interactions between pain and depression
DFG Research Training Groups (Graduiertenkollegs)
- GRK 1874 "Diabetic Microvascular Complications" (DIAMICOM)
Work Package 4 – Diabetic Neuropathy, MD SP15 “Identification of tissue specific changes within the nociceptive system in diabetic peripheral neuropathy – characterizing pain in zebra fish
Project duration: 2013 – 2021
- GRK 2350 "Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences on Psychosocial and Somatic Conditions Across the Lifespan"
Funding code: GRK 2350/1
Project duration: 01.04.2018 – 30.09.2022
Subproject title: The Impact of Early Social Adversity on the Development of Myofascial Low Back Pain – an Animal Experimental Study
Other collaborative projects
- DFG FOR 2690 "Translational Pruritus Research" (PruSearch)
- Funding code: MA1251/10-2
Project duration: 01.09.2018 – 30.08.2021
Subproject title: Translational Pruritis Research (PRUSEARCH): Central Information Infrastructure, Bioinformatics and Physical Biomaterial Bank
- EU (H2020-JTI-IMI2-2016-10-two-stage)
Funding code: 777500
Project duration: 01.04.2018 – 31.03.2022
Project title: IMI-PainCare
- Baron R, Maier C, Attal N, Binder A, Bouhassira D, Cruccu G, Finnerup NB, Haanpää M, Hansson P, Hüllemann P, Jensen TS, Freynhagen R, Kennedy JD, Magerl W, Mainka T, Reimer M, Rice AS, Segerdahl M, Serra J, Sindrup S, Sommer C, Tölle T, Vollert J, Treede RD (2017) Peripheral Neuropathic Pain: A mechanism-related organizing principle based on sensory profiles. Pain 2016 Nov 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Caspani O, Reitz MC, Ceci A, Kremer A, Treede RD (2014) Tramadol reduces anxiety-related and depression-associated behaviors presumably induced by pain in the chronic constriction injury model of neuropathic pain in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 124, 290-296
- Henrich F, Magerl W, Klein T, Greffrath W, Treede RD (2015) Capsaicin-sensitive C- and A-fibre nociceptors control long-term potentiation-like pain amplification in humans. Brain 138, 2505-2520.
- Hoheisel U, Reuter R, de Freitas MF, Treede RD, Mense S (2013) Injection of nerve growth factor into a low back muscle induces long-lasting latent hypersensitivity in rat dorsal horn neurons. Pain 154, 1953-1960
- Klein T, Magerl W, Hopf HC, Sandkühler J, Treede RD (2004) Perceptual correlates of nociceptive long-term potentiation and long-term depression in humans. J Neurosci 24, 938-946
- Michaux GP, Magerl W, Anton F, Treede RD (2012) Experimental characterization of the effects of acute stresslike doses of hydrocortisone in human neurogenic hyperalgesia models. Pain 153, 420-428.
- Schuh-Hofer S, Wodarski R, Pfau DB, Caspani O, Magerl W, Kennedy JD, Treede RD (2013) One night of total sleep deprivation promotes a state of generalized hyperalgesia: a surrogate pain model to study the relationship of insomnia and pain. Pain 154, 1613-1621
- Treede RD, Jensen TS, Campbell JN, Cruccu G, Dostrovsky JO, Griffin JW, Hansson P, Hughes R, Nurmikko T, Serra J (2008) Neuropathic pain: redefinition and a grading system for clinical and research purposes. Neurology 70: 1630-1635.
- Tesarz J, Eich W, Treede RD, Gerhardt A (2016) Altered pressure pain thresholds and increased wind-up in adult patients with chronic back pain with a history of childhood maltreatment: a quantitative sensory testing study. Pain 157: 1799-1809.
- Zhang J, Hoheisel U, Klein T, Magerl W, Mense S, Treede RD (2016) High-frequency modulation of rat spinal field potentials: effects of slowly conducting muscle vs. skin afferents. J Neurophysiol 115, 692-700
Medical Faculty Mannheim
Phone: +49 621/383-9926
Photo Credits: #1 FGV-Zentrum, Med. Fakultät Mannheim