- Important databases in medicine:
- PubMed (MEDLINE) - most important literature database in the Life Sciences (Training course)
- The Cochrane Library - literature database focused on evidence-based medicine
- Clinical trials - search options for clinical trials
- MEDPILOT - portal for various databases, especially useful for German literature
- Web of Science - literature STM database with linked references
- JCR, SJR, ESI - citation analysis for journals, subject areas and countries
- Pschyrembel Online (in German) - reference tool for medicine and adjacent areas
- CINAHL - literature datenbase with focus on nursing science
- MEDITEC - literature database for biomedical technology
- Google Scholar - search engine for scholars
- DIMDI - search portal for various medical databases (for experts)
- Heidelberg database information system (DBIS) (in German)
lists all licenced databases and a selection of freely accessible databases:
DBIS: all databases
Note: Please access PubMed, MEDPILOT and Google Scholar using the links on our website (not via DBIS), if you want to make use of the "Check full text" service.
Medical leanring programms on DVDs/CD-ROMs are:
- evidence-based training systems, clinical cases can be trained interactively
- supplement the textbooks and contain additional diagrams and moving images
- programmes with original test questions that can be used to prepare for exams, as questions can be answered under exam conditions
Search, borrow, download and usage of software
- You can only find a portion of the DVDs/CD-ROMs in the online catalogue, as supplements to books do not produce any hits of their own.
- DVDs/CD-ROMs can be found in the resources cabinets behind the circular table. Additional red stickers on the spines of the books indicate that a supplement is available in the resources cabinets (same classmark) or in the book.
- Mediscript-DVDs (until 4/2009).
- We lend the following software on DVD/CD-ROM to faculty members: SAS, JMP. Please refer to the lending desk. The software EndNote can be downloaded by Faculty members.
Our online catalogue lists mostly medical e-books. You can access the fulltext by clicking on the link "Online available". Furthermore our catalogue includes selected e-books by the external service PaperC.
After a free registration at PaperC you can read textbooks from the first to the last page within a time limit. To print, save or comment parts of the books you need to top up your account (see: Tutorial, in German). The online catalogue includes the subjects medicine, computer/internet, life sciences and mathematics. They can be recognized by PaperC infront of the book title.
Medical e-books by publisher
Publisher´s package Usage Spinger Medizin German / English and Life Sciences german
(more than 2500 titles since 2005)
Chapters can be downloaded as PDF. Thieme eBook-Library
(ca. 50 titles since 1998)
A maxium of ten pages can be downloaded or printed.
Bookmark and note functionalities can be used after registering.
(419 titles, 1997-2009)
Chapters can be downloaded as PDF.
- In HEIDI, the online catalogue of the University Library of Heidelberg, you can search for e-books of all subjects. To do so, please click on options and check Online Resources only in the search interface.
- E-Books of the Textbook collection
QR-Codes at the shelves will lead you to the electronic editions.
Annotations to QR-Codes (Webpage of the ULB Münster, in German)
More, freely availabe e-books
- PubMed Bookshelf is a continually growing collection of biomedical books. You can search the full text of these books and access most of them for free.
- FreeBooks4Doctors provides free access to a large collection of medical books. You can search this database by subject category, title and language.
What are e-journals?
An e-journal is the electronic version of a journal. It can often be accessed before its printed counterpart and can contain preprints, which are only offered online. E-journals are increasingly replacing printed journals.
How and where do I search for e-journals?
- Searching our online catalogue
Comprises accessible e-journals from the subjects medicine, biology, chemistry & pharmacy, physics, psychology, and informatics. The links shown on the hits lead to the full-texts of the articles - please take into account the licensed periods.
- Searching the EZB Heidelberg
Comprises freely available and licensed e-journals from all subjects. If applicable it links to the full-texts of the articles. Further information on the EZB.
Search options EZB Search options: You can either search alphabetically by title, by subject or using fields via advanced search (e.g. by publisher and ISSN). The Jounal title search is for all subjects.
- The availability of full text access is indicated by different colours, e.g. = access for authorized persons.
- Information on the licence or access period or on the publisher and ISSN can be accessed by clicking on the titel in the hit list. Clicking on the colour icon leads you to the home page of the journal (except yellow-red).
- Thematical search
You can display e-journals sorted by medical subjects.
- with links to the online catalogue
- with links to the EZB
- via PubMed - Broad Subject Terms for Indexed Journals
- via JCR: by clicking "View a group of journals by Subject Category"
- No matching licence periods or no results?
- If the volumes you need are not licenced, you will usually only get table of contents and abstracts of the articles on the publisher´s website.
- You can run a search in the online catalogue and check wheather the Library offers a printed version of the journal.
- If we do not offer the journal you are searching for, you can make use of our Document delivery service (LLD) and order the article you need.
Note: The online catalogue and the EZB can not be searched for articles, only for journal titles.
You can use several e-learning systems (in German):
- Moodle (in German)
Heidelberg University's e-learning platform
the Commented E-Learning Database comprises freely available e-learning offerings
- Thieme Examen Online (in German)
online training-tool for the 1. and 2. medical examination
- Online-Tutorials by the Library (in German)
online trainings for searching literature and an introduction into academic research and writing
In addition you can make use of serveral medical training programms on DVDs/CD-ROMs.