You are here
- 1992-2001: Studies and PhD at Heidelberg University
- 2001: Dissertation "Lifestyle and Mortality”
- 2001-2005: Orthopedic Clinic of Heidelberg University, Head of the Epidemiology Research Group
- 2006-2007: German Cancer Research Center, Deputy Head of the Department of Cancer Prevention and WHO Collaborating Centre for Tobacco Control
- 2007 and 2008 venia legendi in "Social Epidemiology" at the Medical Faculties of Heidelberg University
- Since 2007: Head of the Division Child and Youth Health (since 2022: at the Center for Preventive Medicine and Digital Health CPD) of the Mannheim Medical Faculty of Heidelberg University
Reviewer for the German Research Foundation (DFG), the Alexander-von-Humboldt-Foundation, the German Cancer Aid, the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health, the Swiss National Science Foundation, the Swiss Cancer League, Cancer Research UK, ZiF Bielefeld and for numerous international and national journals.
Member of the board of the German Society for Social Medicine and Prevention (DGSMP) (2016 - 2019), speaker of the working group “Social Epidemiology” of the German Society for Social Medicine and Prevention (DGSMP) (2014 - 2019), active member of the German Society for Epidemiology (DGEpi), the German Society for Social Medicine and Prevention (DGSMP), the German Society for Medical Sociology (DGMS) (until 2019), the German Society for the Promotion of Medical-Meteorological Research (GFMMF), and the German Alliance for Climate Change and Health (KLUG).
- DFG Research Unit 2723 "Understanding the institutional context of health inequalities among young people"
- National Cancer Aid Monitoring 2015-2019 (for German Cancer Aid)
- PrevEND Study — Preventing and Monitoring of Electronic Nicotine Delivering System (ENDS) use
- GOAL study — German Young Olympic Athletes' Lifestyle and Health Management Study (for the German Federal Institute of Sports Science)
- ÄSP-kardio study — Physicians' Survey on the Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases (for the DFG)
Child and adolescent health, including:
- Climate change and health
- Health inequalities
- Impacts of the living environment on health
- Skin cancer prevention and UV exposure
- Tobacco use and prevention
- Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes)
- Sports and physical activity
- Representative population studies (cross-sectional and longitudinal)
- Fieldwork management for CAPI and PAPI studies
- Systematic reviews
- Quantitative and qualitative methods
Obtained external funding from the following institutions, including:
- German Research Foundation
- German Federal Ministry of Health
- German Cancer Aid
- Landesstiftung of Baden-Württemberg
- German Federal Institute for Sports Science
- Research Fund of the Orthopedic Department of Heidelberg University
- EURO-SKIN Funding
Prizes and awards
- Poster award 2020 of Deutsche Adipositas-Gesellschaft
- Winner of the 1st place of the Science Award 2019 of the Association of German Basketball Doctors e. V.
- Laureate as first author of the "Paper of highest public interest 2014" of the Elsevier publishing house
- Several poster awards (2004: DGSS, 2009: DGEpi, 2009: DGSMP, 2010: GMDS, 2011: DGMS and DGSMP)
Schneider S, Winning A, Grüger F, Anderer S, Hoffner R, Anderson L (2022) Physical Activity, Climate Change and Health — A Conceptual Model for Planning Public Health Action at the Organizational Level. Int J Environ Res Public Health 19(8): 4.664. doi: 10.3390/ijerph19084664
Schneider S, Eichinger M, Anderson L, Leer S (2022) Climate Change and Health — climate-related Health Risks in German Sport. Präv Gesundheitsf. 17: 275-282. doi.org/10.1007/s11553-021-00876-3.
Schneider S, Mücke HG (2021) Sport and Climate Change — how will Climate Change affect Sport? Ger J Exerc Sport Res. doi.org/10.1007/s12662-021-00786-8.
Schneider, S, Hilger-Kolb, J, Rüsing, L (2020) Obesity à la carte? The Food Offer for Children in German full-service Restaurants. Public Health Nutrition 23(1), 102-111. doi: 10.1017/S1368980019002398
Schneider S, Bolbos A, Fessler J, Buck C (2019) Deprivation Amplification through structural Disadvantage? Playgrounds as important Physical Activity Resources for Children and Adolescents. Public Health 168: 117-127
Schneider S (2018) Adipogenic Environments as Determinants of Obesity. 125-137. In Dadaczynski K, Quilling E, Walter U (eds.) Obesity Prevention in Childhood and Adolescence. Hogrefe, Bern. ISBN: 9783456857220
Schneider S, Görig T, Schilling L, Breitbart EW, Greinert R, Diehl K (2017) German "National Cancer Aid Monitoring" 2015-2019 — study protocol and first results. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 15 (9): 895-903
Schneider S, Diehl K (2016) Vaping as a Catalyst for Smoking? A first Model of Initiation of electronic Cigarette Use and Transition to Tobacco Smoking in Adolescents. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 18: 647-653
Bucksch J, Schneider S (eds) (2014) Walkability — promoting Physical Activity in the Community. Hans Huber Publishers, Bern. ISBN: 978-3-456-85351-2
Schneider S, Gadinger M, Fischer A (2011) Does the Effect go up in Smoke? A Randomized Controlled Trial of pictorial Warnings on Cigarette Packaging. Patient Educ Couns 86: 77-83
Schneider S, Freerksen N, Röhrig S, Hoeft B, Maul H (2012) Gestational Diabetes and Preeclampsia — similar Risk Factor Profiles? Early Hum Dev 88: 179-184
The complete list of publications can be found here here.
Prof. Dr. phil. Sven Schneider
Division Head Child and Youth Health
Phone +49 621 383-71815